Saturday, February 23, 2013

Necessity Breeding Innovation

Over the course of high school, I had taken eight different classes of German. Even with all of this training, the moment I walked into the airport I was drowning in German. There are plenty of excuses why I hadn't properly learned German, but really it's completely on me. I never really needed to learn German, so I didn't really try. So over the last few weeks, I've been engaged in an intensive German Language course. Everyone in the class had never had any German learning experience before, but I still fit in pretty well.

The Viennese Rathaus at night 
It really made me think: why did I not retain any of my old training? Necessity. I'm best motivated when I need to something. I couldn't even use the washing machine this morning (it turned out pretty bad...imagine hot, damp, soapy clothes). The little everyday moments that you understand what a label says, how to order food appropriately, or even showing gratitude, I've completely taken for granted. It's these things that has spawned necessity. So now, I'm trying to innovate myself. It's strange for me to think this way...I need to make myself into something different to function in this country. What I really want is to fit in. I want to go up to a person and not feel like an outsider or a bother, but an equal.

It has been nice to be surrounded by others that were struggling with their new translational trials. We've practiced easy things in German like what we study, where we live, and how to order food. I kind of enjoy picking up the pieces of my lost language, but it would have been nice to remember a little more.
The car in which Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated 

Over the last few weeks, I've been spending my free time hanging out with new friends. We've gone ice skating in the city, eaten at authentic restaurants, and explored stunning museums. It's great to live in a place that appreciates the way their city looks. I've also met up with an old friend from Huntington had a great time catching up.

The painting on the ceiling of the art museum 
My plans for the next week is: Go to church on sunday, move out out of my apartment, travel to Cologne, enjoy the city for a few days, watch the Lumineers live, come back, and move into my new apartment, and then attend classes. It's going to be crazy, but I ready to begin my wandering again.

Best Wishes,
Christian

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome experience, Christian! :)

    Buy everything you think about buying; you'll regret it if you don't! Just ask me about the Russian rabbit fur hat that COULD be mine right now. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Chris! Sounds like quite an adventure. Wishing you
    Alles Gute zum Geburtstag gestern!

    ReplyDelete